If you’re looking for a modern and luxurious bathroom design, then a wet room might be just what you need. But what exactly is a wet room? In simple terms, a wet room is a bathroom that is completely waterproofed, with a shower area that is level with the rest of the bathroom floor. The entire space functions as a shower, and water drains away through a floor drain.
Wet rooms have become increasingly popular in recent years, thanks to their stylish and contemporary design, and their practicality. Not only do wet rooms offer a sleek and minimalist look, but they are also ideal for small bathrooms, as they can help to maximize the available space. Additionally, wet rooms are easy to clean and maintain, as there are no shower enclosures or screens to worry about.
Another great advantage of a wet room is that they are accessible for people of all ages and abilities, as there are no steps or barriers to negotiate. Wet rooms can be designed to accommodate wheelchairs, making them a great option for people with disabilities or limited mobility.
Whether you’re looking to create a spa-like oasis in your home or simply want to update your bathroom with a modern and functional design, a wet room might be the perfect solution. In the next section, we’ll explore some wet room ideas to help you get started on your bathroom renovation project.
Idea #1: Incorporate Natural Elements
One of the best ideas to create a spa-like feel in your wet room is to incorporate natural elements into the design. Natural stone tiles, for example, can add a touch of luxury and sophistication to your bathroom, while creating a calming and peaceful ambiance. Limestone, marble, and slate are popular choices for wet rooms, as they are durable, water-resistant, and have a unique and textured appearance.
To complement the natural stone tiles, you can add plants or a living wall to bring a touch of greenery to the space. Not only do plants add a natural element to the wet room, but they also help to purify the air and improve indoor air quality. If you don’t have a green thumb, you can opt for low-maintenance plants such as succulents or air plants, or you can use artificial plants that look just as good as the real thing.
When selecting natural elements for your wet room, it’s important to choose materials that are suitable for use in a wet environment. Natural stone tiles should be sealed to prevent water damage, and plants should be chosen for their ability to tolerate high humidity and low light conditions. With the right selection of natural elements, you can create a beautiful and relaxing wet room that feels like a luxurious spa retreat.
Idea #2: Create a Statement Shower
The shower area is the centerpiece of a wet room, and there are many ideas to make it stand out. Installing a rain shower head, for example, can provide a luxurious and spa-like shower experience. Rain shower heads are designed to mimic the sensation of rainfall, with a gentle and even flow of water that covers the entire body. They can be installed on the ceiling or on a wall, and can be paired with a handheld showerhead for added flexibility.
Another way to create a statement shower is to use bold and patterned tiles to create a focal point in the shower area. A mosaic tile design, for example, can add a touch of color and texture to the shower walls, while creating a visual interest that draws the eye. You can also use large format tiles in a contrasting color to create a dramatic and modern look.
When selecting tiles for your wet room shower, it’s important to choose tiles that are suitable for use in a wet environment. Porcelain and ceramic tiles are a popular choice for wet rooms, as they are durable, easy to clean, and come in a wide range of colors and patterns.
By creating a statement shower, you can transform your wet room into a stylish and functional space that feels like a high-end spa. Whether you opt for a rain shower head, bold tiles, or both, the result will be a shower area that is both practical and beautiful.
Idea #3: Install a Soaking Tub
If you love taking long, relaxing baths, then adding a freestanding soaking tub to your wet room is one of the great ideas. Soaking tubs are deeper than traditional tubs, allowing you to fully submerge your body and enjoy a truly immersive bathing experience. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from oval to rectangular to circular, and can be made from materials such as acrylic, fiberglass, or even copper.
When choosing a soaking tub for your wet room, it’s important to consider the design and style of your bathroom. A sleek and modern tub, for example, can complement a contemporary wet room design, while a clawfoot tub can add a touch of vintage charm. You can also choose from a range of features, such as built-in jets or heated surfaces, to create a spa-like experience in your own home.
Installing a soaking tub in your wet room can also add value to your home, as it’s a sought-after feature for many home buyers. Whether you’re looking to create a luxurious spa retreat in your home or simply want a relaxing and rejuvenating space to unwind, a soaking tub is a great addition to any wet room.
Idea #4: Use Minimalist Design
Minimalism is a popular design trend that emphasizes simplicity and functionality. It’s an ideal design style for wet rooms, as it creates a clean and sleek space that is easy to maintain and visually appealing. By using minimalist design in your wet room, you can create a modern and stylish bathroom that feels spacious and uncluttered.
To achieve a minimalist design in your wet room, opt for simple fixtures and fittings that have clean lines and a contemporary finish. For example, you can choose a wall-mounted toilet and sink, which not only save space but also create a minimalist look. A frameless glass shower enclosure can also contribute to the clean and open feel of the wet room.
When selecting colors and materials for your minimalist wet room, choose a neutral palette such as white, black, or gray. This will create a timeless and sophisticated look that is easy to update with accessories and accents. You can also use natural materials such as wood or stone to add texture and warmth to the space.
By using a minimalist design in your wet room, you can create a calming and relaxing space that is both functional and beautiful. Whether you have a small or large wet room, a minimalist design can help you make the most of the space and create a stylish and modern bathroom.
Idea #5: Add Lighting
Lighting is an important aspect of any bathroom, and in a wet room, it can be used to create a range of moods and atmospheres. Adding lighting to your wet room is also a great way to enhance its overall design and style. Here are some ideas for adding lighting to your wet room:
- Install LED lights for a futuristic look: LED lights are energy-efficient and long-lasting, making them a great choice for wet rooms. They come in a range of colors and can be used to create a futuristic and modern look. For example, you can install LED strip lights behind the mirror or along the shower enclosure for a sleek and stylish effect.
- Use dimmable lighting to create a relaxing ambiance: Dimmable lighting is a great way to create a relaxing and tranquil atmosphere in your wet room. You can install dimmable LED lights in the ceiling or use a dimmer switch to control the brightness of your lights. This will allow you to adjust the lighting to suit your mood and create a peaceful and soothing environment.
- Add task lighting for functionality: Task lighting is essential in wet rooms, as it provides focused lighting for activities such as shaving or applying makeup. You can install task lighting above the mirror or use a pendant light above the sink to provide ample light for daily tasks.
By adding lighting to your wet room, you can create a space that is both functional and stylish. Whether you choose to install LED lights for a futuristic look, dimmable lighting for a relaxing ambiance, or task lighting for functionality, the result will be a wet room that is both beautiful and practical.
Idea #6: Choose a Monochromatic Color Scheme
A monochromatic color scheme is a design technique that uses a single color throughout a space, with varying shades and tones to add interest and depth. It’s an excellent choice for wet rooms, as it creates a cohesive and harmonious look that is both sophisticated and calming. Here are some tips for creating a monochromatic color scheme in your wet room:
- Choose a base color: Select a color that you love and want to use as the base for your monochromatic scheme. For example, you might choose shades of blue, gray, or white.
- Vary the shades and tones: To add interest and depth to the wet room, use varying shades and tones of your base color. For example, you might use light blue tiles on the walls and a darker blue for the floor tiles. Or, you might use white tiles for the walls and a slightly darker shade of white for the floor.
- Add interest with different textures and finishes: To prevent the wet room from looking too flat, add interest with different textures and finishes. For example, you might use glossy tiles on the walls and matte tiles on the floor. Or, you might add a textured feature wall with 3D tiles.
A monochromatic color scheme can create a sense of calm and relaxation in your wet room, while also giving it a sophisticated and stylish look. By choosing a base color, varying the shades and tones, and adding interest with different textures and finishes, you can create a wet room that is both beautiful and functional.
Idea #7: Create a Glass Enclosed Space
Using glass panels to enclose your wet room is a popular design choice, as it can create a seamless and modern look. Glass panels allow natural light to flow into the wet room, making the space feel larger and more open. Here are some tips for creating a glass enclosed space in your wet room:
- Choose the right type of glass: There are several types of glass you can use for your wet room enclosure, including clear, frosted, and textured glass. Clear glass will provide an unobstructed view of the wet room, while frosted or textured glass can provide privacy.
- Use floor-to-ceiling glass panels: To create a seamless and modern look, use floor-to-ceiling glass panels to enclose the wet room area. This will give the illusion of a larger space and make the wet room feel more open.
- Add a glass door: To complete the glass enclosure, add a glass door that matches the panels. This will create a cohesive and stylish look that is both functional and beautiful.
Using glass to enclose your wet room can create a stunning and modern design that is both functional and beautiful. By choosing the right type of glass, using floor-to-ceiling glass panels, and adding a glass door, you can create a wet room that is both stylish and practical.
Idea #8: Go Bold with Color
If you’re looking to add a bit of personality and fun to your wet room, consider using a bold color scheme. This design technique can create a playful and unique space that reflects your personality and style. Here are some tips for going bold with color in your wet room:
- Choose a bold color scheme: Consider using bright and bold colors like teal, pink, or yellow to create a fun and playful space. Use a color wheel to help you choose colors that complement each other.
- Mix and match colors: To add interest and depth to the wet room, consider mixing and matching different colors. For example, you might use teal tiles on the walls and pink tiles on the floor.
- Use accessories to tie everything together: To create a cohesive look, use accessories like towels, rugs, and artwork to tie the color scheme together. Use complementary colors to add interest and create a balanced look.
Going bold with color can be a fun and playful way to create a wet room that reflects your personality and style. By choosing a bold color scheme, mixing and matching colors, and using accessories to tie everything together, you can create a wet room that is both unique and beautiful.
Idea #9: Add Storage
When it comes to wet rooms, storage can often be an afterthought. However, incorporating storage into the design of your wet room can help keep the space clutter-free and organized. Here are some ideas and tips for adding storage to your wet room:
- Use built-in cabinets: Built-in cabinets can provide ample storage space while also keeping the wet room looking sleek and modern. Consider using cabinets that match the design of the rest of the wet room for a cohesive look.
- Install floating shelves: Floating shelves are a great option for adding storage without taking up too much space. Use them to store towels, toiletries, and other essentials.
- Use vertical space: If you’re short on floor space, consider using the vertical space in your wet room for storage. Install shelves or cabinets above the toilet or on the walls to maximize storage space.
By incorporating storage into the design of your wet room, you can keep the space looking clean and organized. Whether you choose built-in cabinets, floating shelves, or use vertical space, adding storage is a practical and functional design choice that can also add to the overall aesthetic of your wet room.
Idea #10: Add Personal Touches
Finally, adding personal touches to your wet room can make it feel like a true reflection of your personality and style. Whether you prefer a minimalist and modern look or a more eclectic and bohemian style, there are plenty of ways and ideas to add personal touches to your wet room. Here are some ideas:
- Use accessories and decor: Adding accessories like artwork, vases, and candles can add personality and interest to your wet room. Choose items that reflect your personal style and taste.
- Display plants: Plants can add a touch of nature and color to your wet room. Consider displaying a few potted plants or hanging a plant from the ceiling.
- Incorporate personal items: If you have items like photos, books, or trinkets that hold special meaning to you, consider incorporating them into the design of your wet room. This can be a great way to add personality and sentimentality to the space.
By adding personal touches to your wet room, you can make it feel like a true reflection of your personality and style. Use accessories, plants, and personal items to create a space that feels uniquely yours.
Wet rooms are becoming increasingly popular for modern bathrooms due to their sleek and contemporary design. Incorporating natural elements, creating a statement shower, installing a soaking tub, using minimalist design, adding lighting, choosing a monochromatic color scheme, creating a glass-enclosed space, going bold with color, adding storage, and adding personal touches are all great ways to elevate the design of your wet room.
With so many options available, you can create a wet room that is both functional and beautiful. Whether you prefer a minimalist design or a more bold and colorful look, there are endless possibilities when it comes to designing a wet room that meets your personal style and needs.
By incorporating some of the wet room ideas discussed in this article, you can transform your bathroom into a modern, luxurious oasis that you’ll love spending time in. So why not get started on creating your dream wet room today?