As a lifestyle blogger, I know firsthand how important it is to have an organized closet space. Not only does it make getting dressed in the morning more efficient, but it can also reduce stress and bring a sense of calm to your daily routine. That’s why in this post, I’m excited to share with you eight genius wardrobe storage ideas that you can implement in your own closet.
By incorporating these wardrobe storage ideas, you’ll be able to maximize your closet space and keep your clothing items organized in a way that works for you. From hanging organizers to storage baskets and bins, there are so many creative ways to organize your wardrobe that you may not have even considered before. So, let’s dive in and transform your closet space together!
#1. Declutter and assess your wardrobe
Before jumping into any wardrobe storage ideas, it’s essential to declutter and assess your wardrobe. Decluttering is crucial to making sure that you’re only storing items that you actually wear and love, which will save you time and frustration in the long run. Here are some tips to help you declutter and assess your wardrobe:
- Take everything out: Start by taking everything out of your closet and drawers. This will give you a clear idea of how much you have and what you need to work with.
- Assess each item: Go through each item and ask yourself if you have worn it in the past year. If not, consider donating or selling it.
- Consider fit and style: If you have items that no longer fit or are no longer your style, consider letting them go.
- Create piles: Create piles of clothing items to keep, donate, or sell. This will help you stay organized and focused on the task at hand.
- Organize what’s left: Once you’ve decided what to keep, organize it in a way that works for you. This could mean organizing by color, season, or category (e.g., tops, pants, dresses).
By decluttering and assessing your wardrobe, you’ll be able to create a more manageable and organized wardrobe storage system. Plus, you’ll have a better idea of what type of storage solutions will work best for your specific needs.
#2. Utilize hanging organizers
One of the easiest and most effective wardrobe storage ideas to maximize closet space is by utilizing hanging organizers. Hanging organizers are versatile and can be used to store a variety of clothing items, from shoes to sweaters. Here are some types of hanging organizers you might consider:
- Shoe organizers: Shoe organizers are a great way to store your shoes in a way that maximizes space. You can choose from over-the-door organizers, hanging organizers, or ones that hang directly on your closet rod.
- Hanging shelves: Hanging shelves are a great option for storing folded items, such as sweaters or jeans. They come in various sizes and can be easily hung on your closet rod.
- Accessory organizers: Accessory organizers can be used to store items such as scarves, belts, or purses. These can be hung on a closet rod or on the back of your closet door.
- Tie and belt racks: If you have a collection of ties or belts, consider using a tie or belt rack to keep them organized and easily accessible.
By utilizing hanging organizers, you’ll be able to maximize your closet space and keep your clothing items organized in a way that works for you.
#3. Invest in storage baskets and bins
Storage baskets and bins are a great way to keep clothing items organized and easily accessible. By grouping similar items together and placing them in baskets or bins, you’ll be able to quickly find what you need without having to dig through a pile of clothing. Here are some benefits of using storage baskets and bins:
- Keep items together: By using storage baskets and bins, you can keep similar items together. For example, you could use a basket for all of your workout clothes or a bin for your winter accessories.
- Easy to access: Baskets and bins can be easily pulled out of your closet, making it easy to access the items you need.
- Maximize space: Baskets and bins can be stacked on top of each other or placed on shelves, helping you to maximize your closet space.
- Aesthetically pleasing: Storage baskets and bins can also add to the overall aesthetic of your closet. Choose options that match your personal style or color scheme.
Here are some different types of storage baskets and bins to consider:
- Fabric bins: Fabric bins are a great option if you’re looking for something lightweight and easy to move around. They come in various sizes and colors, so you can choose what works best for your space.
- Wire baskets: Wire baskets are a more industrial option that can add a modern touch to your closet. They’re also great for storing items that need ventilation, such as shoes.
- Plastic bins: If you’re looking for something more durable, plastic bins might be the way to go. They come in a variety of sizes and can be stacked on top of each other.
By investing in storage baskets and bins, you’ll be able to keep your clothing items organized and easily accessible, all while maximizing your closet space.
#4. Make use of the back of the closet door
The back of the closet door can be a valuable source of storage space that is often overlooked. By utilizing this space, you can keep your closet organized and clutter-free. Here are some suggestions for using the back of the closet door:
- Over-the-door organizers: Over-the-door organizers are a great way to store a variety of items, from shoes to toiletries. Look for organizers with pockets or shelves that can hold scarves, belts, or jewelry.
- Hooks: Hooks can also be attached to the back of the closet door to hold items such as purses, hats, or scarves. You can choose from various types of hooks, such as single hooks or hooks with multiple arms.
- Jewelry organizers: If you have a collection of jewelry, consider using a jewelry organizer that can be hung on the back of the closet door. These organizers often have hooks or compartments for storing earrings, necklaces, and bracelets.
By making use of the back of the closet door, you can free up space in your closet and keep your items organized and easily accessible. Consider adding over-the-door organizers or hooks to your closet space for added storage options.
#5. Incorporate drawers and shelving units
If you have a lot of clothing items that don’t necessarily need to be hung up, incorporating drawers and shelving units ideas into your wardrobe storage can be a great way to keep things organized. Here are some benefits of using drawers and shelving units:
- More storage space: By adding drawers and shelving units to your closet, you’ll be able to store more items and make the most of your space.
- Better organization: Drawers and shelves provide designated spaces for specific items, which can help you keep your closet organized and clutter-free.
- Versatile storage: Drawers and shelves can be used to store a variety of items, such as folded clothing, accessories, or even shoes.
Here are some examples of different types of shelving units:
- Cubbies: Cubbies are a great option for storing items like shoes or folded clothing. They can be easily customized to fit your space and needs.
- Floating shelves: Floating shelves are a sleek and modern option that can be used to store items like hats, bags, or folded clothing. They’re also great for displaying decorative items.
- Built-in shelves: If you’re looking for a more permanent solution, built-in shelves can be a great option. These can be customized to fit your specific space and needs, and can be a great way to make use of awkward spaces in your closet.
By incorporating drawers and shelving units into your closet storage, you’ll be able to make the most of your space and keep your items organized and easily accessible.
#6. Organize by color or style
One of the easiest ways to keep your wardrobe organized is to arrange clothing items by color or style. Not only does this make it easier to find specific items, but it can also create a visually appealing and cohesive look in your closet. Here are some benefits of organizing your wardrobe in this way:
- Easier to find items: By grouping similar items together, you can quickly find what you’re looking for without having to dig through your entire wardrobe.
- Visually appealing: When your wardrobe is organized by color or style, it can create a cohesive and aesthetically pleasing look in your closet.
- Helps with outfit planning: When your wardrobe is organized in a way that makes sense to you, it can be easier to plan outfits and get dressed in the morning.
Here are some tips for organizing your wardrobe by color or style:
- Group similar items together: Start by grouping similar items together, such as all of your tops, pants, or dresses.
- Arrange by color: Once you’ve grouped similar items together, arrange them by color. This can be done within each category (e.g. all of your blue tops together), or you can arrange your entire wardrobe by color.
- Consider other factors: When organizing by style, consider grouping items together based on other factors as well, such as occasion or season.
By organizing your wardrobe in a way that makes sense to you, you’ll be able to easily find what you’re looking for and create a cohesive look in your closet. Consider arranging your clothing items by color or style to help keep your wardrobe organized and visually appealing.
#7. Consider a closet system
If you’re really struggling with keeping your wardrobe organized, it might be worth considering investing in a closet system. A closet system can help transform your closet space into an organized and functional area that makes it easy to keep your clothing items organized. Here are some benefits of using a closet system:
- Maximize space: Closet systems are designed to maximize space, so you’ll be able to fit more items in your closet without it feeling cluttered.
- Customizable: Closet systems can be customized to fit your specific needs and space, so you can create a storage solution that works for you.
- Versatile storage: Closet systems offer a variety of storage options, from hanging rods to shelves and drawers, so you can store all of your clothing items in one place.
Here are some examples of different types of closet systems:
- Wire shelving systems: Wire shelving systems are a budget-friendly option that can be customized to fit your specific needs. They’re easy to install and offer a variety of storage options.
- Wood closet systems: Wood closet systems are a more high-end option that offer a luxurious look and feel. They’re durable and offer a variety of storage options.
- Built-in closet systems: If you’re looking for a permanent storage solution, a built-in closet system might be the way to go. This type of system is custom-designed to fit your specific space and needs, and can offer a variety of storage options.
By investing in a closet system, you can transform your closet space into an organized and functional area that makes it easy to keep your clothing items organized. Consider the different types of closet systems available and choose one that works best for your specific needs and budget.
#8. Get creative with storage solutions
When it comes to wardrobe storage, sometimes thinking outside the box can lead to the most unique and effective solutions. Here are some creative storage ideas that can help maximize your closet space:
- Tension rods: Tension rods can be used to create additional hanging space in your closet. Simply install a tension rod underneath an existing hanging rod and use it to hang scarves, belts, or even hats.
- Repurpose old suitcases: If you have an old suitcase that you no longer use, consider using it as storage in your closet. You can use it to store out-of-season clothing items or even shoes.
- Use shower hooks: Shower hooks can be used to create additional hanging space in your closet. Simply attach them to the bottom of a shelf and use them to hang handbags or other accessories.
- Use bookshelves: Bookshelves can be used in place of traditional shelving units to store clothing items. You can use them to store folded clothing items or even shoes.
- Use decorative hooks: Decorative hooks can be used to create a visually appealing storage solution in your closet. Use them to hang necklaces, scarves, or other accessories.
By getting creative with your wardrobe storage solutions, you can create a unique and functional space that makes it easy to keep your clothing items organized. Consider these ideas, as well as other creative storage solutions, to maximize your closet space and make the most of your wardrobe.
In conclusion, having a well-organized wardrobe can make a significant difference in your daily routine. A clutter-free closet can help you save time and reduce stress when getting dressed in the morning. By implementing the storage ideas discussed in this post, you can create a functional and visually appealing closet space. From utilizing hanging organizers to incorporating drawers and shelving units, there are many ways to maximize your wardrobe storage.
Additionally, organizing by color or style, considering a closet system, and getting creative with storage solutions can further enhance your wardrobe space. By decluttering and assessing your wardrobe, you can determine the storage solutions that work best for you. We hope these eight genius wardrobe storage ideas will inspire you to create an organized and efficient closet that meets your needs.